CBD oil is practically everywhere now, from convenience stores to multiple online retailers. With a wide range of quality across brands, and types it can be hard to find a blend fit just for you. So why not learn how to make CBD oil at home? By making your own CBD oil you can specially tailor the ingredients to suit your needs while saving money, too.
What is CBD?
CBD is the acronym for cannabidiol, a cannabinoid naturally produced by hemp and marijuana plants. Similar to the more well-known cannabinoid, THC. One key difference between the two is THC produces psychoactive effects, while CBD does not. With expanding global legalization, hemp-derived CBD products are now widely available in-stores, and online.
Why use CBD? (The benefits)
Consumers are increasingly turning to CBD oil and other goods, for natural therapeutic relief. As medical marijuana becomes more widely recognised as a legitimate medical aid, the use of CBD is rising even amongst sceptics. The non-psychoactive compound can provide all of the medical benefits of cannabis, without the high. Not to mention, the natural plant compound is proving to be highly effective at providing relief and treatment of common symptoms like -
- Pain Relief - Multiple studies are proving that CBD relieves chronic inflammatory and neuropathic pain.
- Inflammation - CBD is a natural anti-inflammatory agent, which aids a number of conditions caused by inflammation. Especially for joint inflammation, found in arthritis and amongst athletes.
- Anxiety & Depression - The cannabinoid is also naturally anxiolytic meaning it can reduce anxiety. CBD is also being investigated for treating depression as an alternative to prescribed medications.
- Anti-aging - The World Health Organization has classified CBD as an effective treatment for aging diseases like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s. It also effectively combats wrinkles and fine lines from ageing, and can prevent hair thinning and loss.
With so many benefits to offer, it’s hard not to add beneficial CBD oil to your regular supplement routine. But, many users struggle with the cost to maintain necessary dosage, along with finding a trusted vendor. Especially considering your location, and availability around you.
How to make CBD oil
When making your own CBD oil you can create your own personal CBD experience. From choosing the strain you’ll use for infusion, to picking the type of carrier oil you’ll use too. That’s just one benefit of the DIY method. Beyond crafting the oil to your liking, the quantity you produce is far more cost-effective than purchasing retail. You’ll also avoid having to track down a quality brand, that’s even available or accessible for purchase and shipping.
Using alcohol has been a common way to make your own CBD oil, but requires heat and can be highly flammable. Due to the dangers the ‘ethanol process’ can present, many are turning to infusing safer, less volatile carrier oils, instead. The end-product of infusing carrier oils yourself is the closest you’ll get to retail CBD oil at home.
So, without further adieu here are the simple instructions for how to make CBD oil at home. To begin, gather the ingredients and supplies necessary -
- At least one ounce of cannabis flower (which contains high CBD)
- 16 oz of your chosen carrier oil
- MCT oil
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Hemp seed oil
- Sunflower oil
- Avocado oil
- Flaxseed oil
- Baking tray
- Parchment paper
- Jar for storage
- Fine mesh strainer (with cheesecloth)
- Double boiler or crockpot
- First you need to activate your cannabis flower through decarboxylation. Preheat your oven to 225℉ (110℃). Then lightly break up your flower onto a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Heat for approximately 30 - 40 minutes. This activates the cannabinoids like a lighter or heat source would activate a joint or bowl. Your flower is ready when it's gone from a shade of light green, to golden brown.
- Transfer the decarboxylated flower to your crockpot or double boiler. Pour enough of your carrier oil over the flower to submerge it completely. Stir the mixture and place on low heat. Continue simmering the flower and oil for 2-3 hours, or longer if preferred. Stir the mixture occasionally, and remove when the liquid is a deep brownish-green.
- Strain the liquid to separate from plant matter. Next you’ll strain the oil and flower mixture through a cheesecloth placed over a fine mesh strainer. Place a large measuring cup under the strainer, to catch the infused liquid. Squeeze the cheesecloth to release as much oil as possible, and repeat as necessary.
- Transfer for use. After your oil is completely strained, pour the liquid from the measuring cup into a jar for storage. Keep in a cool, dark space for optimal shelf-life.
How to use your CBD oil
One reason why CBD oil is so popular is its versatility for use. With your homemade CBD oil you can take advantage of many of the delivery methods, including the following.
- Sublingually, as a tincture. Hold the CBD oil under your tongue for direct absorption to the bloodstream, through the sublingual artery.
- Ingestion by swallowing.
- Topical use for skincare or targeting areas of pain.
- Baking with or adding to food and drinks like edibles.
- Filling a reusable vape cartridge or pen for vaping.
What strains are good to use when making CBD Oil?
A benefit of learning how to make CBD oil at home is selecting the strain you like best. Every cannabis strain delivers a unique set of effects, and flavor for taste, too. So choosing one you like is important in benefiting from your CBD oil the most. If you’re seeking the highest potency of CBD levels, then these strains are certain to deliver -
Ready, set, go! Make CBD oil at home
Now that you can answer the question ‘what is CBD oil’ and know how to make CBD oil at home, you’re ready to go. Just collect your favorite strain and the necessary supplies, and you’re one step closer. Soon you’ll see there’s nothing better than benefitting from natural therapeutic effects, from your own specially crafted CBD oil blend.